Saturday 1 February 2014

A month of letters

My friend Sandie posted about 'a month of letters' on Facebook today.  It was a link to Postcrossing blogging about Mary Robinette Kowal  who in 2011, spent an entire month offline, asking her friends to communicate with her through letters.  She found the whole experience a revelation.

Mary decided to turn February into a Month of Letters and challenges people to join her in sending at least one piece of mail each day.  Which equates to 23 items in the USA as there is no post on Sunday and they have one Bank Holiday, so 24 items for us in the UK.

Mary says ''Write love letters, thank yous, or simply notes to say that you miss an old friend. Send a fabric swatch from your new dress. A feather you picked up while on a walk. Whatever it is, let yourself step away from the urgency of modern life and think about an audience of one. Think of it as sending 23 little gifts. And, who knows, you might enjoy going to the mail box again.''

So I am diving straight in and will be off to post my first piece of mail in a moment... are you up for this challenge?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I am so up for this, i love writing and receiving letters, so just the push I need! I am a day late starting, so 2 today. I have lots of pretty stationery, so will get going!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh this reminds me of my penpal days...I'm not sure I would want to sit and write a letter now....:( x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea, but quail at the commitment as my days are so unpredictable :(. I admire you hugely for taking this on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun challenge. My sister is teaching a class at a homeschool co-op this year & she had her students write letters . . . to me! So, I'll be sending a reply to those students this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds ambitious, but fun. I may send out a few things myself . . .
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete